Many people who visit this website or purchase Exercise for Better Bones do not have immediate access to a health provider knowledgeable in the treatment of osteoporosis. In many cases, these individuals are unable to visit me at my clinic in Ottawa. The good news is that they can choose between a phone or online consultation with me and get their osteoporosis questions answered — in most instances within one consultation.
Phone or Online Consultation
Every phone or online consultation is unique because your needs are unique. However, I have done a number of these consultations and they often follow a pattern. In most cases, people want me to review their current exercise program and make sure that it will be beneficial to their bone health and, equally as important, not compromise their bones.
If they do not have an established exercise routine, but want to start one, I am able to direct them through Exercise for Better Bones and get them on the path to improved bone health.
Topics We Can Cover
As a reference, here are some of the topics that have come up during the phone or online consultation. If either of these resonates with you, perhaps now is a time for us to have a conversation.
- I review the client’s bone mineral density test scores and provide clear guidance on what weight-bearing (cardiovascular) and strength training exercises they should focus on.
- A client indicates that they have limited time to exercise or experience pain in their joints when they exercise, and ask me to help them tailor their exercise program to their needs.
- A client has a favourite activity of daily living that they have done for years and want to keep that activity in their life. But with a diagnosis of osteoporosis, they wonder if they still can do that activity. Should they stop the activity or are their modifications that I recommend. Popular physical activities that come up include Yoga, curling, gardening, knitting, and dancing.
- Clients have become more aware of the important of perfect posture and want to know if they are doing the right things for their posture. To answer this question, I ask the client to send photos so that I can assess the situation.
- Clients with work stations and desks ask that I provide tips on how to make sure that the ergonomics of their work environment is friendly to their bone health. To answer this question, I ask the client to send photos so that I can assess the situation.
Nutrition and Pharmaceuticals
The emphasis during a phone or online consultation should be on exercise and activities of daily living. I can do a broad review of osteoporosis nutrition and pharmaceutical question, but limit how far I can go into one of these topics. If you want to have a detailed discussion on osteoporosis medications, I encourage you to consult with your physician.
I find that we can achieve your goals and answer your questions with a single one-hour (sixty minute) consultation and a follow up email.
I charge $150 (US Dollars) for a single, sixty minute phone or online consultation. This professional fee covers the 60 minute consultation, the time it takes for me to review your medical intake submission, and preparation of a follow up email.
How to Set Up a Phone of Online Consultation
Ready to start with a consultation? Here are the steps:
Step 1 • Request a Consultation
If you want to move forward with a consultation, contact Richard to request a consultation session and leave your email address and phone number.
Step 2 • Settle Payment in Advance of Consultation
Richard will send you an online invoice (to the email address you provided). You can settle payment online with PayPal.
Payment needs to be settled before the consultation takes place. I am sorry we have to do this but we do not have time to followup with people who do not pay their bills.
Step 3 • Secure a Time on My Calendar
Once the payment is settled, Richard will contact you directly to set up a time on my calendar.
>>> Please note that we are on Eastern Time (same as New York City). Please make the appropriate adjustment to your calendar to accommodate this. <<<
Step 4 • Complete the Intake Form
After you make your appointment, our booking system will prompt you to complete an online intake form. You will have a chance to provide your health history details and goals in the intake. Margaret will review this before the consultation.
If there is information that you would prefer NOT to go into the online form, you can save that information for the consultation and share it with me as we speak.
If you have a DEXA test, scan it and send that via email to my email address.
Step 5 • Consultation Setup
We use Zoom for our video conferencing sessions. Zoom delivers a secure and private connection between you and our clinician.
The people at Zoom provide a complete tutorial on how to sign onto your session with us. If you have never used ZOOM before, please visit this Zoom before your session so that you are ready to go at the time of your appointment.
Please make sure you have Zoom working **the day before** your appointment. If you try and are unable to do this, please contact Richard and he will help you set up your Zoom before your call. Please do not contact Richard until you have given it your best effort. Thanks!
How to Prepare for Your Video Appointment
Please make sure you do the following in advance of your appointment:
- Read the instructions above on how to log into your appointment and make sure you are comfortable with how to use Zoom. Please contact us via email if you need help.
- Make sure that the camera and the audio on the device you use works properly.
- Make sure you are in a well lit room so that I can see you.
- Dress comfortably and in clothes that allow you to move freely.
- I will need to see your whole body (with clothes on) in both standing and prone to assess your movements. Ensure that the room you use for the appointment allows at least three (3) metres between you and the camera.
- Be prepared to lie on the ground. You might want to have a yoga mat handy or make sure that the floor has a carpet.
- Have a towel and pillow handy.
Check out my other Services.