The dumbbell walking lunge is a strength exercise from the Exercise for Better Bones program specifically designed for the Elite Level. The exercise targets the muscles of the hamstrings, quadriceps, and buttocks. It also targets the bones in the wrist, spine and hips.
Dumbbell Walking Lunge
The following are the instructions for the dumbbell walking lunge.
- Stand tall with dumbbells in both hands and arms either at your side or elevated so that the dumbbells are resting on your shoulders.
- Exhale and gently take a large step forward.
- Lower your hips as you keep your ear, shoulders, and hips in line over your back knee.
- Focus on your back knee coming down toward the floor but not touching the floor.
- Push off with your back foot and bring that leg up and forward to start the next dumbbell walking lunge.
- Repeat the movement while alternating legs until your set is complete.
- Both knees should align with corresponding second toe.
- You will have at least six inches of space between the heel of your front foot and the knee of your back leg.
- If your toes do not like the pressure, you may try the dumbbell walking lunge while wearing running shoes. Running shoes will also provide more traction and grip and thereby make you more stable.
- If you rest the weights on your shoulders it is always less cumbersome and easier to do than having them in your hands. You also get the added benefit of getting the weight through your torso or through your vertebral bodies.
Exercise for Better Bones
Exercise for Better Bones is an exercise osteoporosis program designed for people like you. It is available for purchase at Amazon in printed book and Kindle formats. It provides a safe and effective means to strengthen bone, reduce fracture risk, and build confidence.
The Program has been successfully used by thousands of MelioGuide clients worldwide. And hundreds of Physical Therapists and Physiotherapists have prescribed the Program for their clients.
Osteoporosis Exercise Plan
Visit my Osteoporosis Exercise Plan page for more information on this topic.