The Energy Tree exercise is the first of a number of Beginner and Active level warmup exercises in the Exercise for Better Bones program. You should do this exercise before you start your Strength exercises and remember to enjoy this, think positive thoughts and use the opportunity to get your training off to a great start. Enjoy!
Energy Tree Exercise • Video
- Stand tall.
- Inhale as you as you raise arms overhead, lifting your rib cage up — gathering energy as you reach to the sky.
- Exhale as you return your arms by your side, keeping your rib cage lifted.
Energy Tree Exercise • Instructions
Follow these instructions for the Beginner and active level warm-up, Energy Tree:
- Start the Energy Tree with your feet shoulder-width apart, or hip-width apart, with good base of support, meaning you want to feel that your weight is evenly distributed between your heel, the base of your big toe, and the base of your fifth toe.
- In that position, arms down by your sides, shoulders relaxed, along through your spine, you take a nice breath in with your arms coming up, reaching to the sky, and exhale as your arms come down.
- With the arms coming up in your inhalation, you want to imagine, and actually start to feel your ribcage lengthening away from your pelvis.
- Make yourself two inches taller through your torso.
- This time, I want you to take with you an affirmation to help you through your exercises.
- If you’re feeling tired, you might want to say, “I am energized,” or “I am invigorated.” And self-talk is really important. Athletes do it all the time.
- So with your breath in, with the “I am…”, and exhale with the affirmation that you’re going to take with you.
And you don’t have to say them out loud. Internalizing them is just fine.
Osteoporosis Exercise Plan
Visit my Osteoporosis Exercise Plan page for more information on this topic.