Hi! My name is Margaret Martin and I am a Physical Therapist with 35 years of clinical experience. My expertise is in the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis through evidence-based therapeutic exercise, safe movement and fall prevention. For the last 15 years, I have concentrated on bone health and have treated thousands of patients for their osteoporosis, osteopenia and low bone density.
My experience treating patients with osteoporosis and teaching Physical Therapists on osteoporosis prevention and treatment has allowed me to:
- Write and publish three books on osteoporosis and exercise.
- Create an osteoporosis exercise video DVD.
- Produce a 15 hour continuing education course for Physical Therapists and other health professionals on the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis.
I am trained in manual therapy, myofascial release, ergonomics for home and work, trigger point therapy release, exercise prescription, Yoga and Nordic Walking. I have practiced Physical Therapy in California, British Columbia and Ontario.
School of Physical and Occupational Therapy at McGill University in Montreal, Canada. I graduated in 1984.
Physical Therapy Licensing
- College of Physiotherapists of Ontario
- Physical Therapy Board of California
I am the proud recipient of the 2011 Award of Distinction from the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario for my significant contributions and achievements as a Physiotherapist.
Published Books by Margaret Martin
I have published three books on osteoporosis and exercise. All books are available on Amazon in both print and Kindle formats.
- Exercise for Better Bones. Exercise for Better Bones has over 100 reviews on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk with 5 star rating. Used by thousands of individuals worldwide.
- Yoga for Better Bones. Designed for yoga students and practitioners concerned about bone health but want to continue practicing their yoga mindful of their bones.
- Strengthen Your Core. Unfortunately, core strength is often overlooked in most exercise programs. It is essential to fall prevention and balance but needs to be practiced safely by the older adult.
Published Video by Margaret Martin
Recently, I produced a 90 minute workout video DVD on safe exercise for people with osteoporosis.
- Stronger Bones, Stronger Body DVD on amazon.com
Continuing Education Training for Physical Therapists on Osteoporosis
The continuing education course, Working with Osteoporosis and Osteopenia, is accredited with all Physical Therapy Licensing boards across the United States. Thousands of Physical Therapists in the United States, Canada and around the world have completed my course.
Working with Osteoporosis and Osteopenia is available on MedBridge Education.
As well as offering an online continuing education course for health professionals, I have conducted workshops and personally trained thousands of Physical Therapists in Canada and the United States on the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. The following is a sample of the hospitals, clinics and institutions where I have trained Physical Therapy, Physicians and other health professional staff:
- Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Canada, 2016
- Charles Lemoyne Hospital, Montreal, Canada, 2013
- Charles Lemoyne Hospital, Montreal, Canada, 2012
- Ottawa Hospital Rehabilitation Centre, Ottawa, Canada, 2012
- Bruyere Hospital, Ottawa, Canada, 2011
- Genesis Rehab Services, Multiple locations, 2010
- Osteoporosis Canada, Toronto, Canada, 2009
- West Carleton Family Health, Ottawa, Canada, 2007
Press, News and Guest Blog Posts by Margaret Martin
I have been interviewed by a number of online and print publications on the topic of osteoporosis and bone health. Here is a sample:
- When Exercising Becomes a Hazard, Toronto Star. 2009
- Osteoporosis Defence Begins in Teenage Years, Toronto Star. 2009
- Exercise and Osteoporosis, Dr. Rebecca Risk Podcast. 2018
- Falling Through the Cracks, Voice America
- How to Fight Osteoporosis and Build Stronger Bodies, Senior Rehab Project Podcast. 2017
- Osteoporosis Awareness, CTV Ottawa Morning Live.
- Physical Therapy and Osteoporosis, Physiospot
- Quality of Life and Osteoporosis, Physiospot
- A New Treatment Protocol for Osteoporosis, Physiospot
- Shirley Sahrmann Discusses Her Career in Physical Therapy, Physiospot
- The Future of Physical Therapy, Physiospot
- Exercise and Aging Well, Physiospot
I am also a member of the Expert Council for Osteoporosis at healthandbone.ca.
- Ontario Physiotherapy Association Annual Conference. Overview of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Certified Exercise Expert for the Aging Adult training program. 2011
- Canadian Physiotherapy Association. Working with Osteoporosis. An exercise program designed for the independent adult to improve bone density and reduce fall risk. 2007
- Research with Andre Bussieres, PhD. McGill University School of Physical Therapy. Determinants of the Uptake of a Web-based Intervention for the Management of Osteoporosis. 2015.
I have held several professional leadership roles with Physiotherapy and Fitness Training professional organizations.
- President of the Ontario Provincial Division of the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA). 2008.
- President of the Central Toronto District of the Ontario Physiotherapy Association (OPA). 1990.
- Vice President of the Central Toronto District of the Ontario Physiotherapy Association (OPA). 1989.
Citations for Margaret Martin
My work in Physical Therapy and osteoporosis has been recognized by academics and other health professionals. Two recent published text books cite my work.
Comprehensive Guide to Geriatric Rehabilitation, 3rd Edition, by Timothy L. Kauffman PhD PT
Dr. Kaufman’s clinical guide is designed for busy health care practitioners and covers a wide range of topics related to geriatric rehabilitation. On page 176 in chapter 25, Orthopedic Trauma, Chris Metzger and Mark Lombardi refer to my course Working with Osteoporosis and Osteopenia: Part A. They specifically refer to “postural exercise should include activities of the shoulder and scapulae to ensure overall strengthening and spinal stability.”
Comprehensive Guide to Geriatric Rehabilitation, Third Edition, Timothy L. Kauffman PhD PT, August 2014. Page 176 (reference to Working with Osteoporosis and Osteopenia: Part A, MedBridge Education, Margaret Martin, MelioGuide)
Client-Centered Exercise Prescription, 3rd Edition, by John C. Griffin
John C. Griffin has written a client-centered exercise prescription theory and application book that is used both as a resource by health and fitness professionals and as a textbook for kinesiology and Physical Therapy courses.
In chapter 12 of his book, Exercise and Musculoskeletal Conditions in Older Adults, Griffin references my book, Exercises for Better Bones by Margaret Martin.
Client-Centered Exercise Prescription, Third Edition, John C. Griffen, January 2015, Chapter 12 (reference to Exercise for Better Bones, Margaret Martin, MelioGuide)
Educational Training and Professional Self Development
My aim is to provide the highest level of Physical Therapy service to my patients. As a result, I invest a lot of time and effort into my own continuing education, training and professional self development. Here are a sample of the continuing education courses I have completed by major category.
Physical Therapy for Osteoporosis Educational Training
- Physiotherapy for Bone Health: Our Role in the Prevention and Management of Osteoporosis. Dr. Meena Sran, University of British Columbia, 2012
- Certified Exercise Expert for the Aging Adult – Part 1 and 2
- American Society of Bone Mineral Research Annual Conference, Montreal, QC, October 2018
- American Society of Bone Mineral Research Skeletal Health
- National Osteoporosis Foundation 7th Annual Osteoporosis Conference
- National Osteoporosis Foundation 8th Annual Osteoporosis Conference
- Osteoporosis Canada Symposium
- World Physiotherapy Congress Prevention and Management of Osteoporotic Fractures
- Osteoporosis: A Comprehensive Treatment Strategy
General Physical Therapy Educational Training
- The Thorax — Connect the Whole Body & Optimize Performance, Kitchener, ON. June 2019
- Visceral Manipulation
- Vestibular Rehabilitation
- John Barnes Myofascial Training
- Myofascial Release Level I, Ottawa, ON.
- Myofascial Release Level II & Myofascial Unwinding, Cape Cod, MA.
- Fascial Pelvis, Buffalo, NY.
- Myofascial Skill Enhancement Workshop, 40 hours Sedona, AZ
- Diagnosis & Treatment of Movement System Impairment Syndromes, Lower Quarter. Shirley Sahrmann
- Diagnosis & Treatment of Movement System Impairment Syndromes, Level 1. Shirley Sahrmann
- Supportive Conversation for individuals with Aphasia
- Advanced Physical Therapy Lumbo — Pelvic Complex Certification Program, APTEI, Bahram Jam
- Urban Poling/Activator poles Instructor
- APTA Sport Division – Team Concept Conference
- Lumbo-pelvic Motor Control: Advanced Clinical Assessment and Treatment of Motor Control Dysfunction in Low Back Pelvic Pain, Paul Hodges
- Clinical Reasoning: Understanding the Problem and the Person through “diagnostic” and “narrative” reasoning, Mark Jones
- Orthopaedic Symposium
- IDEA Conference NYCSWIS Weight Training SymposiumScientific Core Training (Correspondence)
- Scientific Back Training (Correspondence)
- Program Design: Choosing Reps, Sets, Loads, Tempo and Rest (Correspondence)
- Movement Dysfunction, Kinetic Control
- Basic Bobath – 3 week course
- Running Room – Running Shoe Workshop
- Paul Chek on Functional Exercise and Training
- Active Isolated Stretching with Aaron Mattes
- Perform Better Functional Training Series
Yoga Teacher Training and Certification
- Certified Yoga Instructor: 200 hour Yoga Teacher Training, 2012. Ottawa, Canada.
Schedule a Time With Margaret Martin
Schedule time with Margaret Martin if you want to:
- Develop an bone building exercise program.
- Recover from an injury, fracture or joint replacement.
- Avoid the flare-up of an old injury.
- Review and refresh an old exercise program.
- Ensure your current exercise program is safe and effective.
- Take control of your body through the combination of education, hands-on therapy, and selection of intelligent exercise.
Services available in French and English. Services disponibles en français et en anglais.
Since 1984 I have dedicated myself to helping individuals, like yourself, achieve their highest level of function and fitness. I have worked at YMCAs, Yoga studios, hospitals, rehabilitation centres, community clinics, as well as industrial settings across Canada and the United States. Before I started MelioGuide, I owned two companies: Injury Reduction in the Workplace and Full Swing – Golf Performance.
About Margaret Martin
I am a high energy, caring person who practices what she preaches. My daily movements usually incorporates at least one of the following practices: Yoga, TaiChi, strength training, high intensity interval training, vigorous walks, and cycling. I consume a diet that is alkaline based with plenty of vegetables, locally farm-raised animal protein and legumes. And my passions include nutrition, gardening, and mindful, intelligent movement.
In 2016 I competed in a body building contest. This give me the opportunity to personally experience what it is like to truly build strength and manage your diet.
My most significant contribution to society has been creating two outstanding human beings, John and Katherine. I am blessed to have the support and wonderful company of my husband, Richard. I look forward to sharing another thirty years with him.