Yoga Instructor and Physical Therapist Margaret Martin has designed two Yin Yoga routines that are safe for individuals with low bone density or osteoporosis. Margaret is the author Yoga for Better Bones — Safe Yoga for People with Osteoporosis.
Yin Yoga practice fits into the category of flexibility. Yin practice does not strengthen muscles but it does allow you to elongate your fascia.
Table of Contents
- Purchase Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis on Vimeo
- Purchase Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis on Amazon Prime
- Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis Episodes
Two Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis Routines
There are two routines in this title. One is done on the floor and the other uses a wall for support. The Floor Routine lasts approximately 32 minutes and the Wall Routine lasts almost 29 minutes. The title includes a short introduction by Margaret.
Both routines are wonderful for individuals concerned about the health of their spine from a disc, bone or joint perspective. You can rest at ease knowing the routines are safe for you.
The practices complement one another. They also focus primarily on the tissues that help offset the effects of sitting too much. Regular practice of these routines will allow you to look and feel your best while instilling a sense of deep relaxation.This article was last updated on May 15, 2020
Developed and Presented by Margaret Martin
All Yin Yoga demonstrations and instructions in Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis are provided by Margaret Martin. Margaret combined her years of clinical Physical Therapy experience, her fitness training knowledge, and her review of the latest medical and scientific research on yoga, osteoporosis and exercise to create these Yin Yoga routines for you.
Margaret Martin is a Yoga Instructor and Physical Therapist with over 35 years of experience helping individuals like you achieve their health and fitness goals. She graduated from the School of Physical Therapy of McGill University in 1984.
She is also the author of Working With Osteoporosis and Osteopenia — a course for Physical Therapists on the treatment of osteoporosis. Her course has been completed by thousands of Physical Therapists and other health professionals worldwide.
Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis is available for purchase, in streaming video format, on Vimeo. Vimeo is the world leader in professional video streaming services, used by ninety million video creators worldwide.
When you purchase Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis, you gain immediate access to the video routines. You can play the routines anywhere, anytime, on any device.
You can view Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis on your computer, your TV (using connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and Google Chromecast), your mobile phone (Apple iPhone or Android), or your tablet (Apple iPad or Android device).
Vimeo is our preferred video streaming service and we encourage our clients to use this service because our videos are available to you no matter where you are in the world, can be played on any platform, and payment can be settled in your home country currency.
Amazon Prime Video: Purchase Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis
Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis is available for purchase, in streaming video format, on Amazon Prime Video. Amazon Prime Video is the popular video streaming service used by millions of people worldwide.
You can view Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis on a wide range of platforms and devices supported by Amazon Prime Video. These include popular computer web browsers, Amazon Fire TV devices, game consoles, iOS and Android phones and tablets, Google Chromecast, and Amazon Fire tablet. A full list of Amazon Prime Video supported devices can be found here.
Please note that Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis is only available to Amazon Prime Video subscribers in the United States and the United Kingdom.
There are three episodes in the Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis series. Here is a description of each episode.
1. Introduction to Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis
Yoga Instructor and Physical Therapist Margaret Martin has designed two Yin Yoga routines that are safe for individuals with low bone density or osteoporosis.
Margaret helps you understand her reasoning behind the poses she selected. You can rest at ease knowing the routines support your flexibility but keep your bones, discs and joints safe.
- You will gain a better understanding of how different tissues in your body need time to stretch.
- Yin practice allows your fascia the time it needs to elongate and release.
- The two Yin routines provide an opportunity to decompress from the busyness of your life. I invite you to make time for yourself.
- Take a full breath and join me on the mat.
2. Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis • Floor Routine
In the Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis • Floor Routine, individuals diagnosed with low bone density, Osteopenia or Osteoporosis are guided into poses by a licensed Physical Therapist and Yoga Instructor.
- The poses include Sphinx, Extended Child, modified Baby Dragon, Cat Pulling its Tail and Bananasana.
- These poses were chosen because they counter many of the restrictive postures we assume throughout the day. Sitting tightens up our hip flexors, quadriceps and front body. Computer work, hobbies and chores tighten our side bodies.
- This practice will elongate many of your muscles and allow you to look and feel your best while instilling a sense of deep relaxation.
- The props you will need include a Yoga mat, Yoga blocks or stools and a blanket.
- See you on the mat!
3. Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis • Wall Routine
Individuals diagnosed with low bone density, Osteopenia or Osteoporosis will be guided into poses by a licensed Physical Therapist and Yoga Instructor.
A wall is a perfect surface to rest your feet as you explore poses that will elongate all of the muscles surrounding your hip joint.
These poses provide you with a relaxing, supportive alternative to many of the traditional hip stretches that are healthy for your hip but can be harmful for your spine.
This practice will elongate many of the muscles in the hips and back that support you during strength and weight bearing aerobic exercises.
- Instils a sense of deep relaxation.
- The props you will need for this practice include a stretching strap or long belt. a cushion, towel, Yoga blocks and socks!
- See you on the mat!
- Note: If you have suffered from a disc herniation, this practice is also safe for you.
Yin Yoga for Osteoporosis is one of my products.
Recorded at Kalyana Yoga Shala in Ottawa, Canada.