In this video I demonstrate the Side Plank Exercise Roll core exercise for beginners from the Strengthen Your Core exercise program.
Core Exercise for Beginners
First we are going to cover variations and suggestions to assist a beginner through the 45 and 90 degree side planks. Second, we’ll cover the core exercise for beginners roll.
Lets start with the tips for the beginner core exercise.
Core Exercise for Beginner Tips: Shoulder Support
For many individuals, weight bearing through one shoulder is quite a challenge. Here are a few tips to add shoulder support:
- In the side plank from the chair, you can add support on the shoulder with the upper arm.
- You can also take weight, if that shoulder is your limiting factor, through this bottom arm.
Those are things that can help you start to build strength through the shoulder and not feel defeated because the amount of pressure that you’re experiencing through the shoulder.
Core Exercise for Beginner Tips: Arm Support
With the planks and especially with the side planks, as opposed to just resting on the chair, I want you to press into the chair.
- To provide additional support, place a folded yoga mat under the arm so that it feels more cushioned through the forearm.
- Draw the shoulder blade down while pressing into the chair.
- If I just let the chair support me, this is what’s going to happen. I hang on with my ligament and that’s not going to be comfortable or beneficial.
- Press into the chair, drop the shoulder blade down and then align your head with the rest of your body. This is an important component of the beginner’s side plank 90.
- When we take the side plank into a 45 we can take a break and reset and then position our body at a 45, position the leg at a 45 and then drop the body and again think of it drawing the shoulder blades down and back.
- Your hand can stay at the chair if you want a little additional support through the supporting shoulder or it can come by your side.
- It can rest on the shoulder that’s supporting you, but again your whole body should maintain that neutral position.
Side Plank Roll Core Exercise for Beginners
Now lets do the side plank roll core exercise for beginners. To demonstrate this, I will turn away from you and take the roll onto the chair.
- Based on my body size, this chair is just a little bit tall for me.
- Press to stay drawn down.
- My ideal chair height would probably be about 16 inches to do the roll from my knee and this is about 17 inches.
- In this position press firmly down and hold each position for five seconds.
- Roll and keep everything tight.
- Now go into a full plank from your knees.
- Roll into the 45 degree side plank.
- Draw your shoulder blades down and back and right into complete the beginner.
That’s it for the the side plank beginner roll one of the core strengthening exercises for beginners in Strengthen Your Core.
Core Exercises Guide
Want to learn more about core exercises? Visit my Core Exercises Guide.